Perry Erhardt, K.C.
Practice Focus & Background
Perry has extensive experience in business law advising developers, small businesses, and financial institutions on acquisitions, business structure, financing, and employment issues. He also maintains an active litigation practice primarily in corporate litigation, professional regulation, and employment matters.
He has successfully appeared at all levels of court in Saskatchewan as well as before the Saskatchewan Police Commission, Labour Relations Board, and other boards and tribunals. Perry has chaired hearing panels and authored numerous decisions. He holds a Qualified Arbitrator Designation (Q.Arb.) with the ADR Institute of Canada and served as an adjudicator under The Saskatchewan Employment Act.
Perry has led strategic initiatives and motivated positive change in many organizations across the public, private, cooperative and non-profit sectors. He is an experienced board member having served as both director and chair of numerous boards over the past 30 years.
For the past six years, he has served on the board for Saskatchewan Lawyers’ Insurance Association Inc. (three years as Chair) ensuring appropriate liability insurance coverage and providing oversight of actuarial and investment activities.
Among his volunteer highlights, Perry served as President of the Law Society of Saskatchewan (2016) and the Canadian Bar Association’s Saskatchewan Branch (2010-11). As Bencher and President of the Law Society, Perry initiated key governance reforms.
Perry’s earlier public service, including his roles as Clerk of the Executive Council of Saskatchewan and Registrar of Regulations (1999-2001), contributes to his specialized skill set that has allowed him to assist and advise clients with specific issues related to legislation, regulations and policy development.
A senior partner at OWZW Lawyers LLP, a mid-size Regina, Saskatchewan law firm, Perry plays a key role in managing the firm’s business relationships and human resource needs.
He has assisted non-profit organizations on a pro bono basis, and recently worked with the RIIS (Regina Indian Industrial School) Commemorative Association Inc. to complete the transfer of cemetery lands to it from the federal government for preservation of the memory of Indigenous children who passed while attending the school.
The breadth of his life and work experience extend far beyond the law, and make Perry a trusted and much sought-after adviser.
Education & Professional Designations
- Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb.), 2019
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2010
- Environmental Law for Practitioners Course, 1992
- Admitted to the Law Society of Saskatchewan, 1990
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Saskatchewan, 1989
- Bachelor of Education, University of Saskatchewan, 1986
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Saskatchewan, 1984
Professional Association Activities
- Saskatchewan Lawyers’ Insurance Association Inc.
- Director 2017-present (Chair – 2017-2020)
- Law Society of Saskatchewan
- President, 2016; Bencher (2013 through 2018)
- Executive Committee member, 2015-2017
- Chair, Discipline and Governance Review 2014-2015
- Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch)
- President, 2010-2011
- Executive Member, 2008-2012
- Mid-Winter Meeting Planning Committee Member, 2009
- Past Chair, Business Law (South) Section
- Canadian Bar Association (National)
- Director, 2010-2011
- Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- ADR Institute of Saskatchewan, Member
- Regina Bar Association, Member
Select Presentations & Publications
- Presenter, “The Environmental Regulator,” January 1993, Canadian Bar Association (SK), Mid-Winter Meeting
- Presenter to foreign and domestic delegations on Processes and Procedures of Executive Government
- Presenter and Author, “Ethical Issues in Business Law,” Continuing Legal Education Seminar, April 2008
- Presenter (annually), “Practical Practice Tips” Articling Student (South) Section, Canadian Bar Association, 2009-2020
- Presenter, “Bootcamp for Junior Lawyers,” Continuing Professional Development Seminar, March 2011
- Panelist, “Law Society of Saskatchewan Practice Advisor Program – An Update,” February 2014, Canadian Bar Assoc. (SK), Mid-Winter Meeting
- Presenter, “Ethical Considerations in Business Law – Conflicting Loyalties?… Really?,” Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association, Teleseminar, October 2018
- Panelist, “Political Intelligence in the Boardroom,” Institute of Corporate Directors, March 2020