Practice Focus & Background
Matthew joined OWZW in 2009 and became a partner at OWZW, on January 1, 2015. His preferred areas of practice include business law, including commercial financing, corporate law, residential and commercial real estate and commercial litigation. Matthew also has experience advising clients on various small business matters.
Matthew has a keen interest in environmental law as signified by his time spent at the University of Victoria where he obtained a Master of Laws degree in 2007. Matthew’s thesis, entitled “The Public Trust Doctrine: Ensuring the Public’s Natural Right of (Perpetual) Access to Common Resources”, examined the public’s right to access clean and sustainable resources in Canada.
Matthew was born and raised in Saskatchewan, growing up in Canora. Matthew currently resides in Regina with his wife and family.
In his spare time Matthew can be found walking his bulldog Penny or playing and/or coaching hockey and other recreational sports.
Education & Professional
- Admitted to the Law Society of Saskatchewan, 2008
- Master of Laws, University of Victoria, 2007
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Saskatchewan, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Saskatchewan, 2002
Associations & Activities
Including Professional Associations, Community Activities & Public Services
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Regina Bar Association
- Former Regina and District Chambers of Commerce Paragon Awards Judge
Presentations & Publications
- Presenter, “The Public Trust Doctrine,” November 2008, Canadian Bar Association, Environment and Natural Resources section meeting